Pope Francis arrives for his first visit to the U.S. and is greeted by President Obama, Vice President Biden and their families at Joint Base Andrews, outside Washington. On the plane from Cuba Francis dismisses suggestions that he is a socialist, saying that despite his warnings of the inequities in the global economic system, his beliefs are consistent with the established social doctrine of the Church. After a brief private meeting with Obama in a VIP suite, the pope leaves for the residence of the Vatican ambassador to the United States in a black Fiat hatchback car with the number plate SCV 1.
Arrives in U.S.
Pope Francis in the USA – Arrival at Washington
- Wraps up summer trip
- Visits Belgrade amid protest
- Obama 'tired of talking about Trump'
- Vatican: not personal attack
- Believes Trump will not be president
- Obama has done 'a lousy job'
- Responds to Pope: 'Disgraceful'
- Pope says Trump 'Not Christian'
- Obama asks congress for emergency funds
- Declares State of Emergency