A source in Trump’s transition team says Trump has appointed Mattis as Secretary of Defense. Mattis joins a Trump national security team that already includes retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn as national security adviser and Rep. Mike Pompeo as CIA director. The official announcement is expected early next week. Mattis will need a waiver from Congress in order to be confirmed, as a legal statute bars service members from quickly entering civilian positions.
Trump appoints Mattis as Secretary of Defense
- Trump 'Glad to see Rousey lose fight'
- Trump meets tech leaders
- Trump picks Perry to head Energy Dept
- Trump names Cohn top economic advisor
- Gates compares Trump to JFK
- Trump, West meet
- Trump selects Tillerson as Secretary of State
- Trump denies Apprentice report
- Visits OSU victims, families and first responders
- 'He was a hero and inspired generations of future explorers'