A source in Trump’s transition team says Trump has appointed Mattis as Secretary of Defense. Mattis joins a Trump national security team that already includes retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn as national security adviser and Rep. Mike Pompeo as CIA director. The official announcement is expected early next week. Mattis will need a waiver from Congress in order to be confirmed, as a legal statute bars service members from quickly entering civilian positions.
Trump appoints Mattis as Secretary of Defense
- Trump talks with Taiwan president
- Ryan: I've patched things up with Trump
- Cincinnati rally
- Trump appoints Mattis as Secretary of Defense
- Trump, Pence speak at Carrier plant
- Will leave business to concentrate on Presidency
- Romney: Trump's vision 'connects with the American people'
- Appoints Mnuchin as treasury secretary
- Carrier: Trump saves 1000 jobs
- Announces 'Thank You Tour'