ISIS fighters seize the Taqba airbase in Raqqa Province in the north of the country on the Turkish border, effectively giving the group control of the province. The provincial capital, Raqqa, is the group’s long-term de facto headquarters. Photographs posted on Twitter apparently show ISIS fighters in the airbase, standing next to a destroyed aircraft and cutting the head off a dead soldier. The Syrian state news service, SANA, acknowledges that government troops have withdrawn from the air base but says they have successfully ‘regrouped’ and are still fighting nearby.
- Libyan forces capture mosque, prison from ISIS
- 22 dead in Turkey wedding suicide bomb
- Claims responsibility for attack
- Frees 'human shields'
- UN denounces Nigeria terror attacks
- Murder suspects arrested
- Iraqis push through Ramadi
- May raid gave US ISIS intelligence
- Iraq demands Turkish withdrawal
- 500 oil tankers destroyed