A US official confirms to CNN that US drones began flying over the city over the past 24 hours to provide extra protection for the 180 US military advisers that are currently located there. The use of the drones for offensive strikes against the insurgent Islamic State in Iraq and Syria fighters would require approval from President Obama.
US drones over Baghdad
- Libyan forces capture mosque, prison from ISIS
- 22 dead in Turkey wedding suicide bomb
- Claims responsibility for attack
- Frees 'human shields'
- UN denounces Nigeria terror attacks
- Three Americans kidnapped
- Murder suspects arrested
- Iraqis push through Ramadi
- May raid gave US ISIS intelligence
- Iraq demands Turkish withdrawal