The Devlins launch The Majority, a website that aims to unite the silent majority who are dismayed and frustrated about the rise of Nationalism in Scotland, and give them the tools to fight back.
McGregor announces his officical retirement from UFC.
Hey guys I’ve decided to retire from fighting.
Hey guys I’ve decided to retire from fighting.
Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it’s been!
Here is a picture of myself and my mother in Las Vegas post one of my World title wins!
Pick the home of your dreams Mags I love you!
Whatever you desire it’s yours ❤️ pic.twitter.com/Dh4ijsZacZ
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) June 7, 2020
NewsBlocks is a finalist in the Great British Entrepreneur Challenge. The contest, run by Andy Yates and promoted by The Daily Mail, offers £50,000 investment and mentoring as a prize, and aims to find:
great start-ups and early-stage firms and to find passionate entrepreneurs who want to disrupt and change their market for the better, and change their lives at the same time.
Mark meets with Andy, who is a former journalist, in London to talk about NewsBlocks. Mark:
In the end we didn’t win, but it was great to meet with Andy, and hear his enthusiasm for helping innovative project. We look forward to keeping him updated as we build NewsBlocks in the future.
McGregor speaks about his attack on an elderly drinker in a pub and says watching video was ‘like a dagger to the heart’ and that he needs to make amends.
That man deserved to enjoy his time in the pub without having it end the way it did…I will face this head on. I will not hide from it. I was in the wrong. It was completely unacceptable behaviour for a man in my position…I owe it to the people who trained me in martial arts – and it is not the reason I got into martial arts …was to defend against that kind of scenario. I have been making steps to do better and be better to see it is like a dagger into my heart as a martial artist.
Mark participates in a panel on news innovation at the World News Media Congress in Glasgow. The other participants included Frédéric Sitterlé, Director of Development at Groupe Challenges, which is creating news products for use in Renault cars, Kourtney Bitterly, R&D Lead at the New York Times, who talked about the company’s research into Smart Speakers, and Robyn Spector, Director of Corporate Strategy and Development at the Associated Press (AP), who talked about giving AI tools to journalists.
Mark talks about using blockchain to price news data:
At the moment, there’s so much discussion about subscription models, and how much can we get people to pay for news. But nobody really knows the real cost of a piece of news.
And the challenges facing startups:
It seems companies really want to pick the winner. News organisations would rather wait and see if something succeeds. But how can something succeed if they haven’t been funded from beginning?
Prosecutors drop charges against McGregor after he allegedly smashed a fan’s phone outside a Miami hotel. Prosecutors in Miami say the victim has stopped cooperating with investigators and has recanted his story. The Miami Herald reports the fan, Ahmed Abdirzak, dropped his civil lawsuit with McGregor after reaching a settlement. Abdirzak had been seeking $15,000 in damages.
Florida assistant state attorney Khalil Madani said that Abdirzak…
has credibility issues as he’s changed his previously sworn testimony…Based on the witness’s credibility issues, his unwillingness to respond to a subpoena and the inability of the witnesses to testify… the State of Florida cannot prove the charges against Mr McGregor beyond a reasonable doubt.
Conor McGregor will fight again…Me and Conor communicate every day. We’ve been talking all this week. Things are good with Conor and I and we’ll get something figured out soon…Conor likes to be in a position where he holds the cards and he does what he wants to do.
Yeah, if Floyd wants to fight in the octagon, we’ll do it one hundred per cent. I think that that fight is a possibility some day in the octagon…And, obviously I think everybody would like to see the fight with him (McGregor) and Khabib again.
McGregor tweets what appears to be a retirement announcement:
Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today. I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition. I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!
Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.
I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) March 26, 2019
McGregor attends the National Hockey League match, at the TD Garden, between the Boston Bruins and the Columbus Blue Jackets, and gives a rousing team talk to the Boston hosts:
Remember, nothing heroic gets done without support, without unity. We must back each other, we must support each other. Before you go out, look left, look right. Know that these people that are with you are your brothers… Boys, I wish you the best…Let’s go Boston Bruins.
The Bruins won a 2-1 in overtime, thanks to a winner from Brad Marchand. Marchand paid tribute to McGregor:
He’s an incredible guy, very energetic. He was humble. He was happy to be here…It was an honor to meet him…It’s something we’ll remember.
McGregor is arrested after he allegedly smashes a fan’s phone outside a nightclub in Miami Beach. The fan, who has not been named, was trying to take photos of McGregor as he was leaving the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel, home to the LIV nightclub, just after 5am, when McGregor allegedly ‘slapped’ the phone out of the out of his hand and stomped on it several times, then picked it up and walked away with it. The fighter is facing charges of misdemeanor criminal mischief and strong-armed robbery.
Mark presents NewsBlocks at News Rewired, a conference at Thomson Reuters HQ in London, that promotes trends in journalism technology. Mark discusses the use of blockchain technology to create a verified, permanent and priced “store of news value” for all the world’s news.
McGregor’s whole family travel to America to help celebrate his mum Margaret’s 60th birthday. Dad Tony and sisters Erin and Aoife partied along with Margaret, Conor, Dee Devlin and their two kids Conor Jr. and Croia in the plush Versace Mansion in Miami, Florida. McGregor posts a series of photographs and a message:
My mother’s 60th birthday party at the Versace Mansion. My mother has long been a fan of this fine Italian silk. In fact we are fans of all the Italian fabrics, my current August McGregor line is Italian wool. Cosy. Thank you for gifting me this life my mother! I love you with all my soul.
A large float is dedicated to McGregor at a carnival in Malta. The huge lookalike figure passes through the busy streets during the Karnival ta Malta or Maltese Carnival. It is one of the oldest historical festivals in the country, having being first introduced in 1535. McGregor posts a video of the float, commenting:
Having a great time with my fellow Maltese’s at La Karnival Ta Malta. See you guys soon.
McGregor denies Murray’s claims that one-year-old Clodagh was born nine months after she allegedly slept with him. Murray and McGregor met when he travelled to Liverpool for the 2017 Grand National – four weeks before his long-term partner Dee Devlin gave birth to their first child. Photos of McGregor and Murray, allegedly taken in the bathroom of his hotel suite, allegedly show his hand sliding under her black leather mini-skirt. McGregor posted a message denying he is the father, and claims she actually slept with one of his friends:
The results are in! It turns out we are actually horses. Giddy up ?
McGregor reveals he, and Dee Devlin, are parents for the second time, as he heads home from the hospital with his new baby. He posted a photo of himself on Instagram, from-the-back, holding a baby seat and the hand of his oldest son, Conor Jr., with the caption:
Heading home with my two healthy babies and an energized and healthy SuperMam. 2019 is off to the best start!
McGregor is cleared of his latest motoring charge at a court in Dublin. He appeared on a charge for not producing his license and insurance when asked to earlier this year, for which he was issued with a summons. Garda Keith Dolan told the court that he was making an application to the judge to strike out all charges as the documents had been produced by McGregor when he arrived. Judge Geraldine Carthy granted the application and McGregor left the court room flanked by his three security guards, saying:
Thank you, Judge.
Kavanagh admits he would need to be convinced to return to McGregor’s corner for particular fights going forward. He does not want to see McGregor risk himself unnecessarily in second-rate fights, now that he is entering the final stages of his professional MMA career.
He would certainly have to convince me to go again. I love him, I love the whole journey we’ve had but I’d need a good ‘why’. It might be [Nate] Diaz again because he promised that fight. It might be a rematch with Khabib. But if it was just: ‘Well, they want me to fight that guy’ I think I’d say, ‘I wish you the best. He has a wife and two kids now and I don’t want him taking more hits than he needs to. Khabib hit him with a punch in that fight that he has never been hit with in his career. And even Superman slows down at some stage.
McGregor is banned from driving for six months after pleading guilty to speeding. He admitted to driving his Range Rover at 154kph (96mph) in a 100kph (62mph) zone near Kill, County Kildare, in October 2017. He also apologised to the judge after he was also fined 1,000 euros (£883) at Naas district court near Dublin. McGregor has 12 previous traffic offences dating back to his teens. Judge Desmond Zaidan said:
The speed here is in the higher end…When speeding goes wrong the consequences are catastrophic and life-changing.
Nurmagomedov reveals he can imagine a reconciliation with McGregor, even after the bitter feud that marred their last title fight. Both men are waiting on a December 10 hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission to find out if their actions will result in any further sanctions, but Nurmagomedov insists that he and McGregor may not remain bitter enemies.
Everything is possible. Just as McGregor and I feuded, so we could reconcile…Who are we not to forgive one another when the Almighty forgives us?