The Hebrew-language Maariv newspaper reports that Hamas had planned to send at least 200 fighters through each of dozens of tunnels into Israel for a major attack to coincide with Sept. 24 Rosh Hashanah Jewish new year celebrations. Unnamed security officials say the plan was to kill and kidnap as many Israelis as possible and bring the abductees back into Gaza via the tunnel network.
Rosh Hashanah ‘tunnel attack’ plan
- 21 Palestinians shot
- Rights group office arson attack
- Army surrounds village
- Announces Israel $6M research center
- Plans 11 Negev towns
- Obama, Netanyahu meet
- 'Iran will be destroyed within 25 years'
- Record sandstorm hits Isreal
- Kerry reaffirms support of Israel
- Will not allow Israel to be 'submerged' by refugees