The desert tortoise is officially listed as a threatened species by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Among the land designated as a tortoise habitat is the federally managed area near Bunkerville, Nevada, where Bundy has been grazing his cattle for years.
Desert tortoise designated ‘threatened
- Hannity: Bundy remarks 'repugnant'
- Bundy, Jones: standoff start of new revolution
- Bundy: MLK would support me
- Demands Sheriff investigate BLM
- Bundy, others dispute 'racist' label
- Dwindling Tea Party support
- BLM not involved in Bundy deal
- Local police worried about increasing tensions
- Official: Bundy acted within his rights
- Bundy critical of 'domestic terrorist' label