A source in Trump’s transition team says Trump has appointed Mattis as Secretary of Defense. Mattis joins a Trump national security team that already includes retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn as national security adviser and Rep. Mike Pompeo as CIA director. The official announcement is expected early next week. Mattis will need a waiver from Congress in order to be confirmed, as a legal statute bars service members from quickly entering civilian positions.
Trump appoints Mattis as Secretary of Defense
- Cook: I stand with 'Dreamers'
- Trump: 'My hands are too big'
- Stillitano: Trump could prevent US hosting 2026 World Cup
- Legend on Trump: 'He calls people liars because he is a liar'
- Trump meets Harvey flood victims after Texas return
- Trump to flood survivors: 'Have a good time!'
- Trump: South Korea 'appeasement' talk will not work
- Trump ends DACA, with 6-month delay
- White: Trump will be watching fight
- White: People need to give McGregor and Trump a chance