Rasan Alian becomes the first Israeli Druze to command the elite Golani Brigade and only the second non-Jewish commander in Israel Defense Forces history. He has previously served as commander of Battalion 51, the Reconnaissance Battalion and deputy commander of the brigade and also served in the Kfir Brigade as commander of the Duhifat Battalion. His most recent role is commander of the 36th Division on the Golan Heights. His eldest brother has served as a combat soldier, and his two younger brothers are serving as operations officers in different parts of the IDF. One of them, Basam Alian, has served as a battalion commander in the Givati Brigade.
First Druze commander
- 21 Palestinians shot
- Syrian border airstrike
- 'Shares intel on ISIS'
- Video shows tunnel operations
- 'My brother died to stop terror'
- 95% of Israelis support Protective Edge
- Netanyahu: 'We don't obliterate them'
- Reoccupation is 'excessive military plan'
- Netanyahu: 'Brutal, cynical, heartless enemy'
- Netanyahu: Hamas baits Israel into killing civilians