Prosecutors drop charges against McGregor after he allegedly smashed a fan’s phone outside a Miami hotel. Prosecutors in Miami say the victim has stopped cooperating with investigators and has recanted his story. The Miami Herald reports the fan, Ahmed Abdirzak, dropped his civil lawsuit with McGregor after reaching a settlement. Abdirzak had been seeking $15,000 in damages.
Florida assistant state attorney Khalil Madani said that Abdirzak…
has credibility issues as he’s changed his previously sworn testimony…Based on the witness’s credibility issues, his unwillingness to respond to a subpoena and the inability of the witnesses to testify… the State of Florida cannot prove the charges against Mr McGregor beyond a reasonable doubt.
McGregor is arrested after he allegedly smashes a fan’s phone outside a nightclub in Miami Beach. The fan, who has not been named, was trying to take photos of McGregor as he was leaving the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel, home to the LIV nightclub, just after 5am, when McGregor allegedly ‘slapped’ the phone out of the out of his hand and stomped on it several times, then picked it up and walked away with it. The fighter is facing charges of misdemeanor criminal mischief and strong-armed robbery.
McGregor is cleared of his latest motoring charge at a court in Dublin. He appeared on a charge for not producing his license and insurance when asked to earlier this year, for which he was issued with a summons. Garda Keith Dolan told the court that he was making an application to the judge to strike out all charges as the documents had been produced by McGregor when he arrived. Judge Geraldine Carthy granted the application and McGregor left the court room flanked by his three security guards, saying:
Thank you, Judge.
McGregor is banned from driving for six months after pleading guilty to speeding. He admitted to driving his Range Rover at 154kph (96mph) in a 100kph (62mph) zone near Kill, County Kildare, in October 2017. He also apologised to the judge after he was also fined 1,000 euros (£883) at Naas district court near Dublin. McGregor has 12 previous traffic offences dating back to his teens. Judge Desmond Zaidan said:
The speed here is in the higher end…When speeding goes wrong the consequences are catastrophic and life-changing.
McGregor fails to appear before a court over speeding charges. He had been accused of four offences — one of speeding and three relating to the failure to produce a driving licence. He was allegedly recorded driving at 154kph in a 100kph zone. McGregor was summoned to appear at Naas District Court in Co Kildare but he did not appear when his case was called. His solicitor appeared on his behalf, but the judge said McGregor needed to appear in person:
There is no question of Mr McGregor not knowing about this…I won’t ask why he is not here . . . but the onus was on the defence solicitor to notify his client to turn up for the hearing…If it is contested I won’t hear the case in absentia (in the absence of McGregor).
White announces that McGregor has signed a new six-fight deal with the UFC. The deal will also position McGregor’s new liquor brand, Proper Whiskey, as a sponsor in every UFC event in which the latter competes. Terms were not disclosed, but White says the deal could make McGregor the most money in the sport, especially given his pay-per-view appeal. The six fights include the matchup with Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 on Oct. 6. When asked if the logo of his product will have a presence in the Octagon, McGregor responded:
You bet your bollocks it is. On the canvas. On the canvas. Like [Nurmagomedov’s] blood will be on the canvas.
Chiesa sues McGregor for causing him physical and psychological harm when McGregor hurled a metal dolly at the window of a bus at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn. Chiesa, who said he was pulled from UFC 223 after the incident, claims he has suffered financial damage as a result of the incident and it has affected his future earnings. The size of damages being sought has not been disclosed, although his lawyers say it “exceeds the jurisdictional limits of all lower courts”. The document lists claims for damages for negligence, assault, battery and “intentional infliction of emotional distress”. Chiesa’s lawyers say:
[he was] rendered sick, sore, lame and disabled; that he has experienced pain, suffering and a loss of enjoyment of life and will experience same in future.
McGregor pleads guilty to disorderly conduct in a deal with prosecutors to avoid jail time from his assault on a bus in April 2018. McGregor had faced charges of included menacing, assault resulting in injury, reckless endangerment and criminal mischief. As part of his deal he is required to undergo anger management treatment. McGregor was also required to pay full restitution to the bus company, which he has already fulfilled. The plea will not affect his US work visa.
I just want to say I’m thankful to the DA [District Attorney] and the judge for allowing me to move forward. I want to say to my friends, my family, my fans: thank you for the support.
McGregor and Cowley, who flew from Ireland on a private jet, appear in court for less than a minute regarding assault and criminal mischief charges stemming from a backstage melee in April. McGregor and Cowley’s team inform the court that they plan to negotiate a plea. The session is dismissed and the next hearing, where McGregor and Cowley’s team are expected to enter the actual plea, is announced for July 26. After the hearing a member of the legal team read a statement from McGregor:
I regret my actions that led me here today; I understand the seriousness of this matter and I’m hopeful it gets resolved soon. Thank you, everyone.
McGregor and Cowley appear in court, where they are charged with assault and criminal mischief. McGregor is released under $50,000 bail. He will be allowed to fly home to Ireland after the authorities decided not to seize his passport. He will return to New York on June 14 for his next court hearing, along with Cowley.
McGregor is led out of Brooklyn’s 78th Precinct police station in handcuffs.
After turning himself in to police, McGregor is charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief following a rampage at a UFC press event in Brooklyn. Police:
He’s still in custody, still at the police precinct until he’s removed to court this morning.
McGregor is fined £350 for driving at 98mph in a 60mph zone. McGregor had initially been reprimanded by Judge Walsh for not appearing on time, the third time he had failed to show. Walsh:
I have to ask you the question… how much to you earn? Please don’t tell me you earn more than €110 million in a day?
€140 million…I got the fixed charge notice and attempted to pay it…It didn’t pay and that’s it.
That’s not it…I would warn, however, despite your fortune in life, that you take cognisance of other people on the roads.
McGregor is given the option to pay the fine in installments.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission votes to allow the McGregor-Mayweather fight to take place using 8-ounce gloves — a first of its kind in boxing. McGregor believes the drop in glove size is to his advantage:
I am very pleased with the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s handling of my next bout today. Fair play was kept all the way through. Referee – Hall of famer Robert Byrd. Judges – Burt Clements. Dave Morreti and Guido Cavalerri. 8oz gloves approved, with pre and post fight analysis of the gloves on the night. This was handled very well and very fairly by the NSAC. I am very pleased and respect the commissions ruling on this. Ten days until fight time.
Diaz’s penalty for the water bottle throwing incident with McGregor during the UFC 202 press conference is reduced from $50,000 and 50 hours of community service, to $15,000 and 15 hours of community service. As Diaz has already paid the fine he will get a refund of $35,000.
At a hearing in Las Vegas McGregor’s punishment for the water-bottle throwing incident before UFC 202 is reduced from $150,000 and 50 hours community service to $25,000 and 25 hours of community service, the same terms suggested by the Nevada attorney general’s office ahead of the initial hearing in October 2016. McGregor has six months to complete the community service and can do so in either Dublin or Las Vegas. The board’s chairman suggests that Nate Diaz, who was fined $50,000 and given 50 hours of community service for his part in the incident, should be reheard. NSAC executive director Bennett:
I just didn’t think [the original $150,000 fine] was fair.
Demi Cairns, a Scottish woman, is warning other women to beware of Wesley Brennan, who she claims has scammed her out of £200, during a five week relationship that started on Plenty of Fish dating website. According to Cairns, Brennan claims he is a childhood friend of McGregor. Early in the relationship Brennan claimed to be related to gangster Daniel Kinahan. Cairns:
I recently entered a new relationship with an Irish guy. I was lead to believe his name was Paul Wesley Kenneth Kinahan who ran a finance company in Glasgow. However, this is not the case after scamming me of £200 for a train ticket to go collect his son. Since then I have discovered he also uses the alias Wesley O’Brien and his real name is Wesley Brennan. His stories can be Googled! He’s a serial conman who has scammed over 40 girls from Ireland and is now targeting girls in Glasgow. He’s leading people to believe that he grew up with Conor McGregor having proof to back up his allegations. It’s believable, however, it’s all fake. He’s even going to the extent of booking holidays for these girls myself included. I have had a very lucky escape. The only thing the guy got from me was £200. However, it’s believed he has conned people for thousands. He has been using the dating website Plenty Of Fish where he’s picking his victims.
McGregor has reportedly filed trademarks on his own name as well as his nickname “The Notorious,” according to the website for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. According to the filing, McGregor plans on trying to use the trademarks for aftershave, video games, books, clothing, restaurants, barbershops and health club
Diaz is fined 2.5% or $50,000 of his $2 million purse from UFC 202 for throwing water bottles at McGregor during the fight’s press conference. He will also have to carry out 50 hours of community service. Despite Diaz throwing the bottles first, he receives a lesser fine than McGregor, who was fined $150,000.
According to Clark County, Nevada, civil court records, McGregor has filed a petition for judicial review of his $150,000 fine for the water bottle fight with Nate Diaz before UFC 202. The suit names NSAC Executive Director Bennett and the NSAC as respondents. A hearing date has yet to be scheduled and there is no further comment from McGregor or Bennett.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission fines McGregor five-percent of his $3 million purse ($150,000) for the water bottle fight with Diaz inside the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in August. At least one security guard from the hotel was hit with a bottle or can that was thrown by McGregor. He was also fined 50 hours of community service, to be served within six months. McGregor was on the phone from Ireland:
I just want to apologize for the incident, it was a very unusual incident that unfolded. I acted wrong and all I can say is I’m sorry.
Diaz’s hearing will be heard at a later date.
Ireland’s Advertising Standards Authority says complaints against a Budweiser ad featuring McGregor have been upheld. McGregor was the face of a competition which offered customers the opportunity to win €50,000 to travel to America to “fulfil their dreams”. Complainants said the ad was “irresponsible and inappropriate” because it linked a role model for children to alcohol, and that MMA was an “aggressive sport” and that linking it to an alcohol product was sending out a “dangerous message” to young children. The ASAI agreed with the complaints, saying the MMA star was a hero for young people and that the advertisement “should not be used in the same format again”.